Financing Options & Programs

Utahns are fortunate to have a number of different financial tools at their disposal. Some solar installers offer third-party ownership models, including leases and Power Purchase Agreements, that allow you to pay a fixed monthly fee to access solar panels that are installed on your roof but owned and maintained by a solar developer. If you can't install solar, shared solar projects allow you to purchase energy from a remote solar farm. If you would like to purchase and own your solar installation, the following financing options can help reduce the upfront cost of an investment in solar.

Please note, this information does not imply an endorsement of any programs listed. Solar Simplified does not guarantee the availability of any programs listed. Please inquire directly with the program provider for complete details.

Are you aware of other financing programs in Utah? Please let us know! Please Contact Us with details.

Traditional Financing:

Traditional financing options vary by financial institution and although a traditional home equity line of credit can be used to finance solar, solar-specific loans are becoming more common. Learn more about the following mortgage and loan options, or inquire with your bank or credit union.

 Mortgages   Loans
Fannie Mae HomeStyle Energy Mortgage   Personal Line of Credit
    Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC)
    FHA Title 1 Home Improvement Loan


Loan Providers:

  • Enerbank offers loans and solar financing through select contractors. Ask your solar contractor if these loans will be an option.


Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy (C-PACE) Financing:

C-PACE is a low-cost, long-term financing option for energy efficiency, renewable energy, and water conservation projects on commercial buildings. C-PACE financing allows commercial buildings to finance building improvements through the placement of a tax assessment on the property. Benefits of C-PACE include:

  • No money down
  • A lien term up to 30 years that is secured by the real property (if the current owner sells, the lien is transfered with the property)
  • No debt on the business’ balance sheet

To learn more, visit Utah's C-PACE home page.

Qualified Energy Conservation Bonds (QECBs):

These tax credit qualified bonds (which can be issued by local, state, and tribal governments) are for use in funding energy efficiency and renewable energy projects. The types of energy projects that fall under this program is broad, ranging from mass transit programs, to community outreach programs, to building retrofits. Learn more about this program and how communities can use it to go solar.

USDA REAP Loan Guarantee:

The Rural Energy for America Program (REAP) gives agricultural producers and small businesses grants and loan guarantees for energy efficiency upgrades, renewable energy projects, and energy audits. The program also provides renewable energy development assistance. Learn more about the program and how it can help you go solar.

Salt Lake City Economic Development Loan Fund:

If your business is located in Salt Lake City, you may be eligible for a loan to complete energy efficient equipment upgrades and building retrofits.  Learn more about this loan fund.



Website content provided by Utah Clean Energy, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization working to stop energy waste, create clean energy, and build a smart energy future in Utah and the western United States.