The following Photovoltaic Installation Plan Review Checklist has been adapted from Summit County's permitting checklist, which provides applicants a clear overview of what they need to submit and saves all parties time and money. This template is provided as so that it can be enhanced with information specific to individual jurisdictions.
Download the Solar Permitting Checklist (Word Doc)
Solar Photovoltaic Installation Plan Review Checklist
In order to process your permit application in an expeditious manner you must provide all the required information regarding your proposal. Incomplete applications may take significantly longer to process. If you have questions please contact us using the information provided at the bottom of this sheet.
The following information will be required:
1. A complete Expedited Solar Permit Application.
2. The installing contractor's name, license type, and number (please provide photocopy of license).
3. Application fee (also serves as the price of the permit).
Using the application form for the most applicable type of PV system, please include:
4. A permit application with:
- The location of the proposed installation
- Information about the strength of the structure to which the installation will be attached
- Any strengthening of roofs that must take place to ensure structural safety (if applicable)
- Information about the mounting system that will be used to construct the array
- Any zoning-related information that may impact the installation
5. A to-scale site plan showing:
- Equipment locations
- Types of panels and inverters
- Types and sizes of conduits and conductors
- Lengths of runs
- A grounding diagram showing electrodes and grounding electrode conductors
6. A wiring diagram showing:
- All circuitry
- Points of connection
- Array wiring
- Equipment grounding
7. Cut sheets and instruction manual for the inverter with the applicable model numbers highlighted and the UL or comparable listing noted.
8. Cut sheets for the PV modules, which need to include VOC rating, ISC rating, PMAX, maximum series fuse rating, voltage at PMAX and current at PMAX.
9. Cut sheets on batteries, if applicable, and connection diagrams with cable sizes.Please Identify:
- Battery fusing and fuse holders
- Amp hour of battery bank
- Charge capacity of charge system
- Details for battery storage and venting
10. Identify wire types and connectors of all cables.
11. Provide details for array mounting and engineering for the supporting structure.
12. Verify the ability of PV systems installed on three phase supplied systems to cease to export power on loss of voltage in any phase.
13. Show all warning signs and their locations.
Ensure that all required materials have been completed and compiled and submit them to:
- Online: [website]
- By Email to: [email] (or in-person: [Building Department Address])
For answers to questions please visit [department website] or call [accessible solar point of contact name] at [phone number and extension].
Download the Solar Permitting Checklist